Coconut oil is an edible type of oil that is high in saturated fat. It is extracted from the kernel, or what is also called the meat, of mature coconuts. Coconut oil has two main production processes – the wet process and the dry process. There is also fractionation, hydrogenation, and “refined oil” extraction.
Being high in saturated fat makes coconut oil very beneficial for hair. Another hair product with this same quality is shea butter. But how do you use these products to help maintain the health and well-being of your hair and scalp? Here we take a look at what you need to know about using it properly and safely.
How to Use Organic Coconut Oil for Hair
There are several ways to use coconut oil for your hair, and they all vary depending on the hair type you have. Hair type is classified from 1A to 4C.l – 1A being straight hair and 4C being very kinky hair.
Depending on your hair type, you will use these five methods regularly or occasionally.
Detangler – For curly hair, coconut oil can be a great detangler. You can use coconut oil whenever you need to detangle your hair and also as a detangler after washing your hair. Lather it on your wet hair and put on a shower cap while it rests for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, it should be much easier to comb.
Conditioner – Coconut oil can work as a conditioner as well as a detangler. If you run out of conditioner on wash day, you can use coconut oil instead, and you don’t have to wash it out. After washing your hair with shampoo, simply rub coconut oil all over your hair and leave it in for 5 to 10 minutes. In this case, it’ll be working as a conditioner and a detangler.
Scalp treatment – If you have a dry or sensitive scalp, consider using coconut oil. Take a small amount of coconut oil and massage it into your scalp, not your hair. Ensure you’re massaging it into your scalp. Naturally, some of it will get on your hair, but the majority of it should be on your scalp. Keep it on your scalp overnight or for 8-10 hours and wash it out with shampoo
Hair mask – There are hair masks just like there are face masks. Coconut oil is a great hair mask. Lather your hair in coconut oil, and then cover it with a bonnet. This will keep the coconut oil contained while you sleep. Keep it on overnight, and then wash it out with shampoo in the morning.
Hair protector – Coconut oil is a great hair protector. Use it before washing your hair with shampoo or before bleaching/dyeing your hair.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is extremely good for hair because of the vitamins and fatty acids it contains. Here are nine benefits of using coconut oil for your hair.
- Coconut oil will help your hair grow longer, thicker, and healthier. Hair grows naturally; however, it doesn’t always grow evenly or healthily. If you want your hair to get full, thick, and longer without excessive split ends, consider using coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is a great treatment for those who dye or bleach their hair often. Use a coconut oil hair mask every one to two weeks to help your hair stay as healthy as possible.
- Coconut oil is a great way to protect your hair from harsh shampoos and conditioners. People with thicker and more kinky hair tend to struggle with dandruff. To reduce dandruff, you may have to use harsh and strong shampoos, and this can be bad for your overall hair health. Using coconut oil before shampooing will help your hair retain its natural oils.
- Coconut oil is also an alternative for styling gels. If you don’t like how dry styling gels can get, consider using coconut oil for detangling and styling.
- Coconut oil works wonderfully on frizzy hair and split ends. Reduce the appearance of frizzy hair and split ends by using coconut oil hair masks.
- Coconut oil can also be used as a supplemental lice treatment. Use coconut oil alongside the actual lice treatment to help your hair stay healthy because lice treatment is often harsh.
- Coconut oil is a natural SPF supplement for your hair. A lot of people don’t know that coconut oil can protect your hair from harmful UV rays.
- For people who swim often without the use of a swim cap, coconut oil is necessary because chlorine is very bad for your hair.
- Finally, coconut oil makes your hair look shiny and smooth.
Coconut oil is extremely beneficial for hair health. Use coconut oil regularly and you will see results in one to two months. Coconut oil is not limited to the head on your hair; you can also use it to grow your eyebrows as well as your lashes. Try the methods we shared and let us know how well they work for you!